World Embedded Day held on Feb 23, 2016. AMD announced its 3rd generation AMD Embedded G-series SoCs and the Embedded G-series LX SoC. This announcement provided customer a broad portfolio of performance options. The latest offerings from AMD expands developer’s ability to scale x86 platforms.
The one from announced SoC is Entry-Level G-series LX SoC, which is also pin compatible to previous generation E8860 GPU. Pin compatible means same chip can be installed on previous generation boards.
They also announced two higher performing G-series SoCs, codenamed as “prairie Falcon” and “Brown Falcon”. There was first time introduction of pin compatibility for higher performance SoCs.
These new products expands the award-winning Embedded G-series SoC using the low power. They bring the scalable performance, power, price across the CPU, GPU, Multimedia and I/O chip across all the devices.
3rd Generation AMD Embedded G-Series SoCs
They are targeted to deliver an immersive, graphically rich experience and smooth system performance. These new chips includes lot of features and characteristics.
Specifications of 3rd Generation AMD Embedded G-Series SoC
- Up to 2 “Excavator” x86 cores
- AMD Radeon graphics (up to 4 GCN compute units)
- 4K x 2K H.265 decode (10-bit compatibility on select devices) & multi-format encode & decode
- Multiple display technology – HDMI 2.0, DP 1.2, eDP 1.4
- 6~15W Thermal Design Power (TDP)
- Up to 2 Channels DDR4/DDR3
- Integrated AMD Secure Processor
- 10-year planned longevity
Embedded G-Series LX Family SoC
The Embedded G-Series LX SoC is a new, low-power x86 SoC offering compelling performance for the price with advanced multimedia and display features.
Specification of AMD Embedded G-series LX SoC are as follows :
- 2 jaguar x86 cores
- AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next (GCN) graphics
- 6~15W TDP
- Single-channel DDR3
- AMD Secure Processor
- Industrial temperature – extended temperature SKUs
The first 3rd Generation AMD Embedded G-Series SoCs are available immediately with additional offerings planned in the first and second quarter of this year. The first AMD Embedded G-Series LX products are expected to be available in March.
Source : AMD